Saturday 20 April 2013

Summer Palace Part 2

Today I re-visited the Summer Palace, easily my favourite attraction in Beijing so far.  This time I went with a couple of my classmates and acted as a kind of tour guide.  (The less helpful kind that doesn't really know anything about the attraction we're visiting, that is.  Have you ever had one of those?  I have.)  We were the main attraction, people were staring at us and several asked us if they could pose in pictures with us.  (And a few took pictures on the sly.  Like we usually do with the locals.)  On the subway ride home a little girl, maybe 3 years old, couldn't stop staring at me, so I introduced myself as a visitor from Canada.  It didn't help with her shyness, but her parents got a good laugh and made her say "Ni hao" to me.

Also on the way home we saw a news report about an earthquake in Sichuan Province.  This is where Chengdu is, and it's on my itinerary.  The damage from the earthquake looks pretty severe and we're all sending good thoughts to the people affected in the area.  I'm not sure what else we can do.  This one hits pretty close to home!  I checked when I got home and the epicenter was about 120 km from Chengdu.  The city of Lushan, which is much closer, was pretty much levelled.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment