Monday 22 April 2013

今天北京的污染很大!

Today I learned a new word, and that word is "污染" ("wu ran"), which means POLLUTION.

And today the pollution in Beijing was much higher than it has been in recent days.  It was recorded at around 250 during the day.  For my friends back in Toronto, a bad day is over 40, which is when they start recommending people to stay home.  I haven't yet used my pollution mask but if it's this bad again tomorrow I will.  I could smell the air distinctly when I was outside today.

As an aside, one of the other students here told me he didn't think the pollution masks were much good.  When he was in the army they did a test with gas masks and tear gas, and as long as there's any crack at all "you'll be breathing tear gas".  However I'll give my mask a try and let you know.  And post pics of me in my mask!

Speaking of pics check out today vs about a week ago.  This is the view from my school.

No comments:

Post a Comment