Sunday 12 May 2013

Today I climbed Hua Shan!!!

This is just a quick post to let everyone now I'm still alive (for those of you who have seen pics of the trail).  I'll post all the details and pics (including how I kind of cheated by taking a cable car partway up ...  and all the way down) tomorrow, assuming I can get a decent Internet connection.

FYI it's every bit a bad as you think!  Once you hit the peak you are never more than about 20 ft from a precipitous drop.  Sometimes much closer, and sometimes on both sides of the trail.  Not a good outing for someone with a fear of heights!  But the 2 worst parts aren't actually part of the trail at all, they're kind of excursions where they strap a harness to you and dangle you 2000 m in space (literally!) - I guess the Chinese think this passes for fun, but they built this trail after all.

Anyways it was loads of fun.  I may do the trip again, depending on how the rest of my Xi'An vacation goes.  More details (and pics) tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment