Sunday 19 May 2013

Breakfast at my Hostel

The restaurant/bar in my hostel serves mostly western food and drinks.  At first I'd skip breakfast here and head out and try to find some local food, but due to the fact that I'm back to school now (and my general laziness) I'm working my way through the various breakfasts on the menu.  This morning I had the "European Breakfast":


Toast and eggs, with beans, fruit salad (which here includes cucumber) and kiwi juice.

The serving staff here have all gotten to know me.  I'm in there pretty much every day, eating breakfast (and the occasional dinner), drinking beer or whatnot.  I've been here 2 weeks now, and most people stay only 3 or 4 days max.  Also they all think it's very amusing that I'm learning Chinese.  I'm usually there with my books in tow, either studying, or thinking that I really should be studying rather than just sitting around drinking.  So, now whenever I order, they make sure  review my order to make sure I know the the Chinese words.  "呕式早餐" European Breakfast; "鸡蛋" Eggs; "烤面包" Toast; etc.  Now I feel like I'm letting them down if I order in English.

Also I catch them peeking over my shoulder occasionally to see what I'm studying.  Then they usually snicker quietly to themselves lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment