Tuesday 7 May 2013

My second visit to the Shaolin Temple (Part 4 of 4)

(Note this is part 4 of 4 of this post.)

(Sorry if repost. I'm told Part 4 never made it to the blog, it got lost in the Interweb. Make sure to read posts in order! I'll fix it all up once I get a decent Internet connection.)

The guy in the picture is Zhang Kaijie.  He was assigned as my "handler" since he spoke a little English, and he could tell me to "Duck," "Be careful," etc.  He is a nurse in Zhengzhou and has an uncle in Montreal.

This is called "something or other teeth" (in Chinese).  We came down to the right of the big tooth in the middle.  We were up on the top of the peak to the right.

We came out in a quaint little village.  There were some chickens running around and all I could think of was "avian flu".  Look at the little kid just playing there innocently.

(I also was reminded of the damn rooster in Dengfeng.  Every morning at exactly 5AM (except on my last morning when he started at 3:30AM) he would start crowing and then go straight until sometime in the afternoon.  I don't know how the Dengfengians ever sleep.)

Anyways here is the tour bus at the end of the hike:

With 40 or so hikers on there it smelled pretty ripe!  Apparently this group goes on these excursions every week (or so) and they've invited me to join them again!  For sure next time I'm in China!

Anyways all in all a terrific day!  I gave out a few name cards and a whole bunch of Canadian candy and Canada pins, and I was glad to have had the forethought to bring along a little Canadian swag.

#end

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great way to spend the day - congrats on your mountain climbing adventures! And you should never say no when someone gives you noodles...

    ReplyDelete