Thursday 6 June 2013

Last day in Kunming, On to Guilin!

For my last breakfast in Kunming I'm having French toast with jam and a Bailey's coffee.  Can't get much more Chinese than that!

My flight was changed a couple of days ago, so now I am not leaving Kunming until 11PM tonight, and I arrive in Guilin at about a half past midnight.  There was some confusion with the school in Guilin over the dates (they are picking me up at the airport) but hopefully everything is sorted out now.  I'm spending one night in one of the school's apartments and then moving in with my Chinese family host on Saturday.  There is a national holiday next week (Dragon Boat Festival) so the school is closed next Friday and I'll get a long weekend.  Lots of time to explore!  There's supposed to be a boat ride up to a small town in the north that is a nice day trip.

I've picked up a few souvenirs in Kunming (mostly tea and coffee, since this region is very famous for both) so am having a bit of a problem packing.  I brought a few things (mostly cloths) that I haven't used at all on the entire trip, but unfortunately nothing I want to lose :-(  Let this be a lesson to all you potential backpackers out there, pack light, and don't pack anything you would feel bad about ditching if you had to.  Or just don't buy any souvenirs - this was my original plan, but it fell by the wayside in Xi'An and I went a bit over the top here in Kunming.

Unfortunately I haven't found any postcards in Kunming, so unless I can find any today, you'll all have to wait and see what I can find in Guilin.  I don't think postcards are a big thing with the Chinese, and they only seem to have them in areas with a large number of foreign tourists.  (Kunming doesn't quite qualify.)

I'm also having bad Internet problems this morning.  Let me know if this post doesn't make it to my blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment