Saturday 15 June 2013

Climbing some shan's in Guilin (在桂林爬山)

The landscape of Guilin is defined by the limestone hills and ever since I got here I've been dying to climb them and see what the view is like from the top.  Friday we had a day off school due to Dragonboat Festival so I had my chance.  My "dad" had already told me the hills in the vacinity I could climb so I had a plan.

However I ran into a tout on my way downtown and he convinced me to start with a tour of the city by boat.  Guilin is "两江四湖" as I've mentioned before and the boat does a tour that includes both rivers and all 4 lakes  Why not?  My boat was something like the following:


The tour lasted about 70 minutes and I got a riverside view of some of the shan's (or "san's" as they say here) that I wanted to climb.

Fobu Shan:


Xiang Shan (Elephant Hill):


... and some others, the pictures didn't all turn out (one of the hazards of trying to take pictures from a moving boat).

Here are some of the pictures from the various peaks.  Guilin is a very beautiful city!







However Guilin has nothing on Yangshuo, where I am now.  If it stops raining here long enough I'll run outside and take some pictures and show you!  In the meantime you'll have to imagine :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment