Wednesday 5 June 2013

Getting around in China

There are many ways to get around in China, from the very cheap and time consuming to the quick and efficient.  On my trip I've leaned towards the quick and efficient (and slightly more costly) as I didn't want to spend days and days on the train from one place to the next.


I took a "fast train" from Beijing to Luoyang and then from Luoyang to Xi'An.  Total time for the trip was about 8 hours, although I'm told there is a more direct, non-stop, route that takes about 4.5 hours.  By comparison it's about an hour flight, or 12-14 hours by "slow train".  (The "slow train" usually runs overnight.  You can get a "hard" or "soft" sleeper, or a regular seat.)

The prices (Beijing to Xi'An) are about $10 for a seat on the slow train, $20-30 for a hard or soft sleeper, $50-60 for the fast train, and about $100 for a flight.  Overall travel in China is very cheap, I don't think I've seen any domestic flights over about $150, and obviously the trains are proportionately cheaper.

Unfortunately for those of us who like the "fast train", it is not available on most routes.  The "slow train" from Xi'An to Chengdu takes 16-19 hours, and then Chengdu to Kunming is about the same amount of time.  By comparison my flight from Xi'An to Kunming took 2 hours.  Guiin to Kunming by slow train is about 19 hours (and I talked to a girl yesterday who got a "standing room only" ticket for this trip!)  China is a big country!

China is expanding the "fast train" routes available, and the Xi'An/Chengdu route is supposed to be available in a couple of years.  However if I come back I think I'll try a "slow train", just for the experience.  Most of the backpackers I've talked to here take the slow train and have had mostly good experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment