Tuesday 25 June 2013

Last day in China, next stop Italy

I'm just doing my final packing for my return trip to Canada today.  I've got a whole new suitcase that I picked up in Guilin, hard to believe that I bought some much stuff here.  My fight leaves at 4PM (it's now 11AM so I have an hour to grab a bite to eat before I have to grab a cab for the airport).  I arrive in Victoria about 10 minutes before I depart, and that's only because I have a 3-hour layover in Vancouver.  Got to love the 15 hour time difference.

This morning I wandered down Qianmen Dajie (Street) to see if I could recognize the Tank Man location.  I couldn't, so it must have been a few blocks south of Tian'anmen Square.  Or else the government has completely completely reconstructed that block to make it unrecognizable, which wouldn't surprise me.

I've been following the news, which is very interesting these days.  The Edward Snowden revalations, which make it seem that the USA, Canada, UK etc are basically no better than China when it comes to snooping and generally intrusive behaviour.

There are massive protests going on in Turkey, Brazil and Bulgaria.  What do you hear of these on the Western news?  China is making a big to-do over Edward Snowden.  Between that and the recent visit to the space station that's all we heard about on Chinese TV.  Thank goodness for VPN and international news!

See you soon Canada!  It's been an interesting trip for sure.  Next stop Italy, so I'll be putting my Chinese to bed and trying to learn Italian on my flight home.

谢谢中国,下次见!




No comments:

Post a Comment