Saturday 8 June 2013

Another rainy day in Guilin

I'm still hoping it will clear up (yesterday the rain let up and it was a clear, sunny afternoon) however it's been a torrential downpour all morning and so far is showing no signs of letting up.

Update on my homestay family - we had a nice dinner together last night, and then the mom immediately ran off to work.  She works in the tourism industry and is very busy!  She told me that she'll be working some evenings and will I be ok to fix myself dinner some nights?  I said no problem, there are lots of restaurants nearby!  lol

(By the way the mom's name is Zu Ling and the dad is Lu Yong.  The son's English name is Sandy (I did't quite catch his Chinese name but I'll get it.)

After dinner I went for a walk with Lu Yong and we had a nice chat.  All in Chinese, I'm very proud of myself!  There's a bit of a local accent (they pronounce their "sh" like "ts" so it's very confusing for me!) so I'll ask my Chinese teacher about it tomorrow when I start class.

Sandy plays badminton and also the saxophone - here's a picture of him in action:


He was very good, he played me about 5 songs, and he speaks very good English too.  (Zu Ling and Lu Yong speak almost no English, which is very good for forcing me to practice Chinese, however it's nice to have a translator around!)

Here's the view out the kitchen window right now:


You can't really get a sense of the downpour so I'm going to try to upload a video.  I haven't tried this yet so wish me luck.


Make sure you watch this with the sound on.



No comments:

Post a Comment