Sunday 16 July 2023

Watching the Tour roll through our Home Town (Bonneville)

Today the tour rolled through Bonneville!  A lot of people have been asking us if we travelled to France specifically to see the Tour, but the truth is we didn't even realize the Tour would be on when we were here (let alone that it would pass by only a few km from our house).

We staked out a nice spot to watch:


Second time seeing the carivan!  The carivan took about 20 minutes to pass by (unlike the cyclists who took abut 15 seconds).



We added to our pile of loot from the previous day (we also got a lot of snacks which we mostly ate while waiting for the pelaton).


I was so excited I fat-fingered my camera and didn't get any good photos of the riders, fortunately Sonya was able to get a good shot of the lead group approaching.


(
... and I managed to snag a screenshot from one of my terrible videos ...

)

After we got home I got a facebook message from one of my buddies Daniel from my China trip, from 12 years ago.  He just happened to be staying at his mom's place a short distance away.  (I had posted on facebook to make all my cycling friends jealous an he saw the post, reached out and invited us to dinner.)

Here we are 12 years ago drinking pineapple beer on the Great Wall.


And here we are last night!


When I showed Sonya the pics from China she observed that I had brown hair back then and Daniel probably wouldn't recognize me :-P  I admit I'm a bit older now (and I have a bit more of a paunch than my China days) but Daniel hasn't changed at all!  It was a great evening and a joy to catch up with Daniel and meet his girlfriend and family.

I hear that NBC has cut us from their TdF feed but we made it into the France broadcast again for Stage 15.



We're off to Paris tomorrow so today we get to spend the day cleaning and packing!



1 comment:

  1. Love the Pac-Man shirt! My favourite game when I was growing up, I even have a Pac-Man coffee mug. JH

    ReplyDelete