Friday 4 October 2019

Day 5 Pontavedra to Caldas de Reis 22 km

Hordes!!!  We haven't seen too many pilgrims on the route before today, but this morning when we hit the road there were hoards and hoardes!  We thought it was because we were starting earlier than usual (8:30 am vs 10:00 am or later) but a nice Canadian lady informed us later that many of the Camino routes merge at Pontavedra, so we were now seeing a lot of the pilgrims that walked up the coastal route from Porto etc.

As an aside ...  this nice Canadian lady spotted us as fellow Canadians from across the square as we were eating lunch at Caldas de Reis.  "How did you know we were Canadians?"  (We generally don't plaster ourselves with maple leaves, so as to not be confused as Americans pretending to be Canadians.)  "I saw your Thriftys bag."  "Ah, ok!"  (On the Camino we carry our food in a Thriftys bag so it doesn't get squished in our packs.)

A few pics from today's walk:


Heading out of Pontavedra


Uphill slog


There was some repaving going on ...


Most of today's walk was alongside vineyards and corn fields


One section of the trail was through a tunnel of grapevines


Selfie in the grapevine tunnel


Within sight of Caldas de Reis!!!


A church just before getting into town.

We've been lucky with the weather.  It rained last night, but this morning was just cool and overcast, and by noon it had cleared and it was very warm.

Not so luck with injuries.  Before today I've just had one blister and misc aches and pains (yesterday my knee was bothering me going up & down stairs but today it was fine).  However I started to feel some tenderness in my achilles today going uphill, and by the end of the day I had pain shooting up & down my IT band.  Hopefully tomorrow will be better!  Also I have one toenail that is starting to turn black and I fear I will lose it before long!  Sonya is doing better, with just a few blisters.

Once we arrived at our apartment and checked in we relaxed our feet in the Caldas de Reis hot springs!



After a pop-up craft beer festival and hot springs I'm looking forward to what we'll find tomorrow when we get to Padron!


No comments:

Post a Comment