Monday 18 March 2013

你的签证有问题 (There is a problem with your Visa)

So I've sold my house, and I'm in the process of packing up my meagre belongings to put into storage for 6 months.  I've booked my flight to Beijing and paid for 2 weeks of language immersion at Hutong School.  I've researched my itinerary and spent the past 2 years learning Chinese.  I submitted my application for my Chinese Tourist Visa last week.

Today I got a call:  一安,你的签证有问题.  Ian, there is a problem with your Visa.

So what's the problem?  I applied for a 6-month Visa with multi-entry.  I've booked 3 months from April to June, and have been considering a visit to Hong Kong.  Since HK is not considered Mainland China, that's a separate Visa, and a separate entry.  I've got September off work with no plans, so (if the $$$ holds out) might consider another trip in the fall to visit any interesting locations I couldn't make it to in the first trip.

Well, first time China tourists can only get a 60 day Visa, maximum.  Single or double entry.  And they prefer that you have a pre-booked and pre-paid itinerary, preferably with a tour group.  My first two weeks are booked and paid for, but after that my itinerary is just a notion, and subject to the advice of my new Chinese friends.

Fortunately the call came from my Visa consultant and not the Chinese embassy.  They changed my application to a 60-day single entry, and clarified my plans.  Tomorrow they submit my application to the consulate, so I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed until I hear back!

No comments:

Post a Comment