Tuesday 5 August 2014

Turning 50 in Spain

I'm in Barcelona!  Not a bad place to turn 50.

We arrived a few days ago, and have visited many of the famous sites of Barcelona.  We visited Park Guell and the Sagrada Familia, both works of the architect Anton Gaudi.  On my birthday we spent a felaxing day at the beach before taking a tour of the Sagrada Familia and even going up the towers.  (I have conquered my fear of the towers due to the Spanish discovery, over the past 10 years, of "safety".  They have installed many features to prevent tourists from falling to their deaths, safety devices that were not prsent on my last visit!)

And of course we have visited many fine tapas bars around the city!  (Sorry foodies we have been too anxious to eat to take any pictures of our awesome tapas :-()


Sagrada Familia, under construction for over a hundred years, and another hundred to go.


The tall skinny towers are bell towers.  There are currently 8 built, with 4 more to go.  In the center will be a tower about twice the height (!) - a moument to Jesus Christ.


View from Park Guell.


Park Guell again.


Our Barcelona apartment all decked out.  Dione sent me on my way with a bunch of "old guy" decorations for celebrating my birthday in Barcelona.  (Jack blew up all the balloons.)


My cake, from Sonya and Jack.  It says "our little one", or something like that ...



No comments:

Post a Comment